The role of ASI is to promote the interests of its constituent federations, trade unions and workers by providing leadership through co-ordination of policies in the fields of employment, social, education, environment and labour market issues. ASI represents the trade union movement at various levels of the government on issues such as labour law, employment and social policy, vocational education and training and occupational safety.
ASI is a member of various international and regional organizations. These include the Nordisk fackligt samarbejde (NFS), which is an organization of the Nordic Confederations of trade unions, The European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC) and the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC). ASÍ takes active part in the work of the International Labour Organisation (ILO).
The supreme power in the affairs of ASÍ is held by the confederation’s Congress every second year where 290 elected representatives of employees nationwide gather. Every member union has the right to send at least one representative, irrespective of the relevant union’s size. The Congress of ASÍ decide on the policy of the confederation and its leadership is elected.
- ASÍ is a confederation of trade unions in Iceland in the private sector and part of the public sector.
- ASÍ promotes and works for the improvement of wages and rights of employees.
- ASÍ safeguards the interests of employees towards employers and the authorities.
- ASÍ provides various services to its member federations, trade unions and individual members.
- ASÍ actively participates in the international trade union movement.